Friday, May 31, 2013

The Hitler Abortion Question

****This will be the last blog post on blogger. All future posts will be at:

fallenangeltrilogy.com




I remember one of those super intellectual discussions I had during a late-night 'study' session back in college. Here is the premise- if you were a doctor in Austria in the late 1880s and knew your patient, Klara Polzl, was going to give birth to the monster who would go on to spawn the holocaust, would you abort the fetus?

Regardless of your views on abortion, it is an interesting question? And it is a question that has stayed with me through the years.

The reason I find this so fascinating is that it answers so many puzzles related to God. Why would God create a being like Satan? Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people? Why doesn't God intervene more directly in my problems? Why doesn't God get rid of all those scary clowns?

For me, the answer is the fundamental subject of the Fallen Angel Trilogy- Free Will (no, not the thing about the whale).

If I am the Austrian doctor with that kind of knowledge, I am, in one respect, like God. God oversees the births of over 350,000 people every day. If we accept that God is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent, than we have to accept that he allows individuals to live who he knows will kill, injure and destroy. Why? Because if he didn't, free will would be a complete sham.

If I allow only those who will do as I wish to live, is there really any choice available? If I know you will disappoint me and remove you from the equation, did you ever get the chance to decide? If I dictate that only sperm and egg combos that result in passive, believing creatures are permitted, am I a God of freedom?

Personally, if I were in God's shoes, Hitler would have been toast. But, than again, if I were in charge, I'm not sure I would have made the grade. I know those stupid clowns wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment